Electric Service Scams and Fraud
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM WEST PENN POWER:
Scams and Fraud
Around the country, utility customers have been targeted by criminals through schemes that include door-to-door visits, phone calls and electronic communications. For your safety and security, we urge all customers to remain vigilant against con artists who claim to be associated with our company.
Review known scams that target utility customers, and keep the following tips in mind to help ensure the safety of your family, property, and personal information.
Important Safety Reminders
- Customers who are behind on their accounts receive written notices of a possible disconnection and how to prevent it. Our representatives will not call or email to demand immediate payment to avoid a same-day shutoff.
- Scammers often use Caller ID spoofing software to misrepresent the source of a phone call to further mislead and confuse their targets. Call-back numbers provided by these criminals often use greetings and hold messages that mimic legitimate businesses. If you have any doubts about the status of your electric service, call your utility company using the customer service phone number on our website to ask about your account.
- FirstEnergy employees do not contact customers to request sensitive information such as social security numbers or bank account information.
- While FirstEnergy representatives oftentimes make courtesy calls to customers to remind them about an outstanding balance, they would explain how a payment can be made using the established payment options. We never require you to purchase a pre-paid money card as the only acceptable means of payment.
- FirstEnergy field collectors working in New Jersey, Maryland and Ohio – carrying company-issued photo identification – will offer customers with past-due accounts the opportunity to pay their bill in person before shutting them off.
- Do not allow anyone claiming to be a utility employee into your home unless you scheduled an appointment and the employee has provided proper identification.
- FirstEnergy utility employees always carry photo identification.
- Our utilities offer a wide array of approved billing and payment options. Only send your payments to your FirstEnergy operating company, and never use a payment account provided to you by an unknown individual.
- Our alert services can help you keep track of the amount and timing of your bill, and our eBill payment option can help ensure your account is always paid on time.